Bias Incident Response Team
Bias Related Incident Information
In keeping with the Wells College Mission Statement, Honor Code and Community Standards Statement, we strive to provide an educational, working and living environment free from discrimination, harassment, intolerance and hate.
A bias incident is characterized as a behavior or act - verbal, written or physical - which is personally directed against or targets an individual or group based on perceived or actual characteristics such as race, color, religious belief, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status or age. Behavior reflecting bias may constitute a violation of Wells College policy, as outlined in the Community Handbook and Student Conduct Code.
The Community Handbook contains polices that govern how we work and live together at Wells College. Specifically, the following policies expressly prohibit intolerance and bias:
- Computer, Internet and Electronic Communications Policy
- Harassment Policy
- Student Conduct Code
Reporting a Bias Incident or Hate Crime
- All reports of an alleged bias incident or hate crime should be documented in writing.
When documenting the incident:
- Provide a detailed account of the incident, including date, time and location
- Relate to the best of your ability the specific content of the words, gestures, or other behavior
- Identify the alleged perpetrator, if known to you and/or provide a detailed description
- List all witnesses and contact information
- Attach written information (i.e. e-mails, letters or notes); contact the Department of Security to take photographs of visual evidence or information
- Include other pertinent information that will assist the college in response
- All reports of an alleged bias incident or hate crime will be forwarded to the Bias Incident Response Team (BIRT) who will follow up with all individuals involved and the campus community. For additional information, please consult your Community Handbook or e-mail BIRT at firstname.lastname@example.org.