Wells now offers self-managed email lists. This means that the list owner (usually the person requesting the list) can manage who is on or off his or her lists directly. It also means users can self subscribe or unsubscribe themselves from a list Owners still need to request a list by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org and state what the list is for along with a suggested name. Once the list exists, the owner can then add/remove members via the Web.
Self-managed lists have the following properties
- A self-managed list only exists as long as the owner's email account exists.
- Lists are individually created by the IT department.
- The default list behavior is that anyone can join (or remove themselves) by writing to the list with the suffix "-on" or "-off".
- Joining the list "email@example.com" could be accomplished by sending a blank email message (nothing in the Subject line or the body) to the address "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- A member of the "greek101" list can email all members by addressing the message to "email@example.com"
- A member of "greek101" could unsubscribe themselves by sending a blank email message (nothing in the Subject line or the body) to the address firstname.lastname@example.org
- The list owner can change the behavior of the list, e.g, only allow members to post, make all postings moderated, allow digests and so on.
- Lists can be transferred to other owners by request but only by the IT deparment.
For screen shots of how to manage lists via the Web, please see Managing Self-Managed Lists..
To request a new email list, please send a message to: email@example.com. If you have a current list and want it converted to a list that you can inspect
and manage directly, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.