Institute Scholarships and Internships
The Wells Book Art Summer Institute offers two ways to help aspiring book artists join the institute if they cannot afford the tuition, room, and board. The first is by applying for and receiving a scholarship. The second is by working at the institute as an intern.
The Summer Institute is fortunate to have a generous benefactor who provides us with scholarship funds for undergraduate and graduate students, as well as for recent grads. If you are in this group and are interested in a scholarship, please download the Scholarship Application. We try to share the benefits of our scholarship fund by among as many applicants as possible. Please note that scholarship applicants need two references; forms for them to use are the last pages of the application.
We typically have four interns each summer, two from Wells and two from other institu¬tions. Interns should arrive on campus the Thursday before the first session in order to help with the final preparations, and plan on leaving the Tuesday after the last session. Interns need to have experience in one or more areas, especially binding and letterpress. They need to be self-starters, reliable, punctual, congenial and energetic. Their duties include:
- organizing, cleaning and setting up tools, paper, supplies, and equipment for classrooms and studios before, during and after Institute sessions
- photocopying, data entry, and general office work including answering the phone and finding supplies
- distributing type and keeping the studios tidy
- assisting faculty and participants with arrival and departure
- working at the dorm registration table
- driving vans
- giving directions to campus venues
- assisting faculty with class set-up
- serving as TA to one Institute faculty member
- taking a course in one session, but not serving as TA
- being on call in the evenings for participants who need help with their projects
- seeing to other work normal to a studio/workshop based internship.
If you are interested in applying for one of the internships, please download an Internship Application. Please note that internship applicants need two references; forms for them to use are the last pages of the application.